Volunteering to maintain proj and shapelib packages

Shawn McCann mccann0011 at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 05:34:38 UTC 2005

>From: Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at newmail.ru>
>To: fedora-extras-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Volunteering to maintain proj and shapelib packages
>Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:56:17 +0400
>
>Shawn McCann пишет:
>
>>I'm looking to get involved in the Fedora project and was drawn to the
>>list of packages needing a maintainer. As I've used proj and shapelib
>>before, volunteering to maintain them seems a good place to start.
>
>It would be great!
>We got another GIS-related package w/o maintainer - GEOS, which blocks
>inclusion of QuantumGIS to FE.

Yes, GEOS is currently maintained by another local company. I can likely
take this on as well once I get up to speed on proj and shapelib. From what
I can see FC3 has proj-4.4.8 and proj-4.4.9 is now available. For shapelib,
FC3 has the latest version already.

>>The company I work for builds systems around the world in various domains,
>>especially for remote sensing from satellites. I've recently been working
>>with on projects to deploy Linux (RHEL) and GIS systems in developing
>>countries, hence my renewed interest in the discussions on adding GRASS to
>>Fedora Extras.
>
>GRASS needs another problem to be solved - GDAL and GDAL-GRASS plugin.

I setup mapserver and grass last year and ran across some of these issues.
Should be solvable with a little effort.

>FYI we also got AutoTrace, a good free, opensource vectorizer, w/o
>maintainer.

Haven't used it yet, but it sounds interesting.