Sugg: Improve for mock (caching)

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Thu Nov 3 19:55:43 UTC 2005

Hello,

during the problem of the buildsystem in the last past, I have got
the following idea.

Everytime mock will be launched the base dist will be installed in a
chroot via yum. AFAIK this will take a while, becouse of the network trafic
and so on.

So I have got the idea to save the base chroot dir into a tar file, so I can
restore the chroot after cleaning it after a build.

I have create a initial prove of concept as a patch you may download from

http://www.herr-schmitt.de/pub/mock/mock-0.4-cache.patch

After you have aply this patch, you may do following:

$ mock createcache

will create the chroot tree with yum groupinstall build and save it in a
gzipped tar file.

I you enter anything like

$ mock <Source RPM>

after this, the initial build enviroument will be restored from the stored
.tgz file.

It will be nice to hear any comment for this suggestion.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt