static libraries' policy

Christian.Iseli at licr.org Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Fri Nov 11 17:36:38 UTC 2005

buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru said:
> In  other words - what I should do  with static libraries today?

So far, I have seen pretty good arguments why static libraries should *not* be
included by default:
 - they introduce security risks
 - they add bulk to devel packages
 - some features of modern OS/compiler combos only work with shared libs

I don't think I have seen a good argument why static libraries *should* be
included *by default* (except maybe "convenience", but convenience to whom ?).

So, my answer to your question: unless you really think static libs are a must
for your package, don't package them.

But that's just me.  If you want definitive answers, I guess you'd need to ask
for a decision by the steering commitee...

Cheers,
					Christian