static libraries' policy

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Nov 11 20:33:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 13:31 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

> If a developer makes his distribution choice based on the availability
> of static libraries, then I think they have bigger things to worry about.

Either they have to build everything themselves to get the static
libraries they need to produce their product - or they use a
distribution that already has them. In the case of the latter, they can
release versions for that distribution that use shared libraries and
release static library for generic installation.

Not including static libraries in Fedora won't make Fedora any more
secure, it won't stop users from installing software linked against
static libraries. It will, however, mean developers who do need static
libraries will not find Fedora to be a suitable distribution with which
to build their product.

If the goal is to cut down on installed base, bigger hard drives are
standard - I don't think I can even find a new hard drive smaller than
40GB anymore - I think the local shop doesn't carry anything < 80GB.

If the goal is to cut down on bandwidth for network and yum installs,
that is a worthy goal imho - and could be accomplished by a -static
package, so that they are only installed when specifically requested by
the end user.