Package splitting

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Tue Nov 15 23:01:08 UTC 2005

Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:08:59 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>I'm about to update a package in CVS (gmpc), but in the new version it has
>>been split into two tarballs (the app and a library).
>>How should we deal with that. Can I simply import the library into CVS ?
>
> I think you have following way to solve the problem:
>
> 1.) You may put both tar files into the same package as
> '%Source0' and 'Source1' and create one package, or
>
> 2.) you create tow separate packages, where the app-package has a
> requirement to the lib package. perhaps you may generate two sub
> packages from the libs-packages, so you have a Build Requirement
> to the develop package.
>
> I think you decision should depend to the question: "Will the lib
> be used only from one application or will they are another
> application which used the library?"

This lib will be used by other packages, and might not be released together
with the main app, so it needs to be in a separate package IMHO.
Now, can I just import the new module into CVS, do I need to go through a
full review process (which would not make much sense in this case), what
should I do. I'm inclined to just import the new package in CVS, and I'd
like to know if it's OK by you all.

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
En essayant continuellement, on finit par réussir. Donc plus ça rate, plus
on a des chances que ça marche. -- devise Shadok.