static libraries' policy: possible solution

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Nov 16 17:50:23 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>Tom 'spot' Callaway (tcallawa at redhat.com) said:
>

>>Perhaps, but:
>>
>>1. There is tangible benefit to this, it will shrink the size of Core.
>>2. This method can be easily short-circuited for those apps which need
>>it.
>>3. Most other RPM based distros have already done this (or something
>>similar).
>>

>1. and 2. can simply be solved by removing the static libs, though.

The problem is that many people believe that static libraries are
necessary. This circumstance is proved by the present discussions, and
also by precedents in other distros.

IMO, Fedora is not an ordinary distro. Because of its history (RedHat
Linux etc.) it is one of leaders, and even the first in a number of
leaders. Therefore sharp changes (even correct) and full ignoring of
minority's opinion should be avoided. Such things are allowable for some
new, "revolutionary", marginal distros, not for wide-spread enough.

There is a sign of infinity in the new Fedora's logo. The neglecting of
opinion and needs of an appreciable part of users is not an infinity :(

I believe that suggested solution (in the part of changes in the spec
files) can be useful for any static lib policy. If sometime in the
future the decision to change policy will be accepted, it will lead just
to change of the appropriate system macros, without any interventions
into packages themselves. (I.e., define %find_static "rm -f *.a"-like,
and include "--disable-static" into default %configure ).
Additionally, spec-files properly edited by this way, can help people
who will want to create some additional repository with static libraries
(Livna-like), because creating of such a repository can be automated.

Dmitry Butskoy