fedora-useradd

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Nov 23 08:53:03 UTC 2005

wart at kobold.org (Michael Thomas) writes:

> [root at owl ~]# fedora-useradd 10 -d /tmp -s /bin/false testuser
> useradd: warning: the home directory already exists.
> Not copying any file from skel directory into it.
> [root at owl ~]# grep testuser /etc/passwd
> testuser:x:514:514::/tmp:/bin/false
>
> Shouldn't this user have been created with uid=310?  Or am I invoking
> fedora-useradd incorrectly?

You have to activate the predicatable user-creation with

  /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --set fedora-usermgmt /etc/fedora/usermgmt/scripts.shadow-utils

Else, it behaves like a plain 'useradd'. It is not possible to activate
it by default because there is no free range for default baseuid/gid
values.

Enrico