repository breakage

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Nov 26 07:26:01 UTC 2005

yum update
*snip*
---> Downloading header for directfb to pack into transaction set.
directfb-0.9.24-4.fc4.i38 100% |=========================|  15 kB
00:00
---> Package directfb.i386 0:0.9.24-4.fc4 set to be updated
*snip*
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.22 for package: mplayer
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.22 is needed by package
mplayer

-=-

Unless there is a reason to, can we *please* refrain from updating
packages that change a shared library version?

This is not just to keep yum happy - it is for locally compiled software
as well (where yum will just update w/o warning causing breakage) etc.

In this case mplayer (from livna) is the only issue for me - hopefully
they will rebuild, but IMHO this should NOT have happened unless there
was a darned good reason for the update.

That's the kind of thing that made me stick with core/extras/livna and
NOT use the others. I really think we need to make sure we keep extras
clean in this respect.

Expecting end users to add excludes when these issues arise is imho not
acceptable.