rpms/git-core/devel .cvsignore, 1.10, 1.11 git-core.spec, 1.9, 1.10 sources, 1.10, 1.11

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 18:41:04 UTC 2005

Florian La Roche wrote:
>>I use the following in gaim for a similar purpose.  It is rather ugly
>>but works.
>>
>># Require Binary Compatible glib
>># returns bogus value if glib2-devel is not installed in order for
>>parsing to succeed
>># bogus value wont make it into a real package
>>%define glib_ver %([ -a %{_libdir}/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc ] && pkg-config
>>--modversion glib-2.0 | cut -d. -f 1,2 || echo -n "999")
>>Requires:       glib2 >= %{glib_ver}
>>BuildRequires:  glib2-devel
>>
>>This way the SRPM can build on any version of glib2, but the package
>>enforces the install-time version of glib2.
>

> Why not just add BuildRequires: and have the dependencies to shared libs?
> I think that should be enough, especially for really core libraries as glib2
> that are anyway installed on all machines.
>
> regards,
>
> Florian La Roche

This is about enforcing a certain version of the library, because a
binary compiled with glib2-2.6 wont work when run with glib2-2.4.  On
the other hand maybe I shouldn't have added this because we don't
support mixing packages on the wrong distribution anyway...

Yeah, I'm going to remove this from gaim when I rebuild it.

Warren