Protecting against ssh brute-force attacks

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Nov 2 18:18:57 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 02 novembre 2005 à 12:11 -0500, Neal Becker a écrit :

> denyhosts has a big problem - it never removes entries - so hosts.deny will
> grow without bounds.
>
> I suggest daemonshield.  Uses iptables, so is probably faster - does expire
> entries, AND can protect more that just ssh.

This one is not in FE and I won't bother pulling in a third redondant
utility. Even though iptables integration would be nice.

Anyway my feeling after the previous posts is denyhosts is full-featured
and easy to install, while pam_abl seems a more "correct" and reactive
solution.

I wonder if I'll dare install a FE pam package on a rawhide system...
The idea has some sort of evil appeal.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot