RFC: fuse packages

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Thu Nov 3 11:55:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> 1) do it as upstream does (suid root)
> 2) create a fusemount group -- only members of that group are allowed to
> mount fuse-filesystems that are not in /etc/fstab
> 3) only allow fuse for things listed in /etc/fstab
> I tent to do 3) and can also live with 2) (if that's possible -- I
> suppose it is but did not try yet). I don't like 1).

It seems you are thinking alot about sshfs, and that is not the only thing
you can to with FUSE...

One specific package I would like to include at some point is EncFS
(http://arg0.net/wiki/encfs) which, by letting the user mount from
his/her own homedirectory or whatever place in the FS, can create an
all-userspace, encrypted, loopback-like filesystem.

It would be most unfortunate if you installed a policy that would prevent
the user from mounting at points in his/her own $HOME atleast.

(I am known to have misinformed opinions, so please correct me if needed.)

Linus