Sugg: Improve for mock (caching)

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:12:09 UTC 2005

On 11/3/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> But I don't think the network is the only bottleneck. I think there are
> places in the installation mechanism where we can get some speedups.
> Let's look at those instead?

If we want to improvement out of the process, we need to look at enhancing
Yum. For sure. The single most "Wow" we could get out of the whole thing
would be to introduce an asynchronous download of the repo metadata. In
addition to this, async download of packages from multiple disparate servers
is definitely needed. Possible learning vector on how it could work:
smartpm.org <http://smartpm.org>. It would be very beneficial to the whole
process.

Anyone up for the task?! :-D

--