Sugg: Improve for mock (caching)

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:23:08 UTC 2005

On 11/3/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> you think async downloads will actually be all that much of an
> improvement? As a test setup entirely local-disk repositories and run a
> chroot install, compare that to a fast network and see where the
> bottlenecks are.
>
> I'm curious of the results.
>
> The biggest objection I've had to async downloads/parsing is that you
> end up having a very confusing callback interface to track what is being
> downloaded and when. Your thoughts on correcting that?

Never said it would be easy, I only said it would be wor....@#$(@*.. Never
mind. Anyway, as to the first question: Well buildgroups needs to be pulled
down locally. (For me anyway). I "feel" like the setup stage is taking quite
awhile even with the --no-clean param. But, I haven't done any legit tests
or looking into why. I presume it's the buildgroups thing, but, maybe
something else lurks.

Async definitely needs callbacks, there's no other way. Async and threaded
programming never come through cleanly, unless you want to use Twisted. But,
that'd be a bulky dep to have for yum. :P Asyncore is in Py; but, many heads
have declared it crap. Not sure what smart is using, because I haven't
pealed it open yet. But, smart is definitely downloading async or
multi-thread. It's definitely an eye-opener difference.

Of course, this diverges from the topic about local buildsystems. So, I'll
shut up now.

thanks,
jeff

--