Sugg: Improve for mock (caching)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Nov 3 20:45:26 UTC 2005

skvidal at phy.duke.edu (seth vidal) writes:

>> $ mock createcache
>>
>> will create the chroot tree with yum groupinstall build and save it in a
>> gzipped tar file.
>>
>> I you enter anything like
>>
>> $ mock <Source RPM>
>>
>> after this, the initial build enviroument will be restored from the
>> stored .tgz file.
>>
>> It will be nice to hear any comment for this suggestion.
>
> The network environment is incredibly fast where the buildsystems are.

The speedup gained by caching is not (primarily) related to the network
connection but to the rpm installation and disk-IO. On the fedora.us
server we used caching also and the initial buildroot was created in
<1min (afair).

Local tests at that time showed, that the initial buildroot can be
created in 20 seconds when a tmpfs will be used instead of a real disk
with ext3.

Enrico