Zope packages in Extras

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Mon Nov 7 18:06:27 UTC 2005

Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm maintaining the Zope and Plone packages in Extras. I'm not using them
> professionnaly anymore, and I'm not following Zope news as closely as I did
> before. I don't want to orphan them since I'm still interested in them, but
> I'm looking for zope-litterate people to co-maintain those packages with
> me.
>
> Zope is kind of tricky as regards to versions, and Plone is even more picky.
> Plone usually requires a specific version of Zope (not the last one of
> course), and both packages require specific versions of python...
>
> With Zope3 around the corner, we'll have to roll out a separate package,
> since it's not compatible. And if we wanted to do as upstream recommands,
> we would have to use our own python 2.3 packages, since the latest Zope is
> unsupported on python 2.4. That's a lot of work for me alone.
>
> I've already made mistakes updating these packages in the past, see bugs
> 160971, 162652 and 171681 for examples, so if there are people interested
> in co-maintaining zope and plone with me in extras, you're welcome. If
> nobody steps forward, I'll continue as now, and be extra careful when
> updating.
>
> Aurélien

Sure.  I'd be happy to offer some assistance on future Zope packages.
I'm a member of the Los Angeles Zope Users Group, and I've been planning
on packaging a few other Zope products for easy install/upgrade (ZWiki
for one, possibly Zope-Perl if I can figure it out, and maybe OIO).
(ZWiki and OIO are written and maintained by other LAZUG members.)

A recent hard drive crash has just monkeywrenched some of my recent
plans, which is why I haven't done those packages or pdmenu (hey Tom,
remember looking over that one in San Francisco?) yet.  Well, I got my
web server running again, so I should get back on that ball.