Zope packages in Extras

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Nov 7 18:09:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 11:23 +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Zope is kind of tricky as regards to versions, and Plone is even more picky.
> Plone usually requires a specific version of Zope (not the last one of
> course), and both packages require specific versions of python...
>
> With Zope3 around the corner, we'll have to roll out a separate package,
> since it's not compatible. And if we wanted to do as upstream recommands,
> we would have to use our own python 2.3 packages, since the latest Zope is
> unsupported on python 2.4. That's a lot of work for me alone.

I just looked at Zope and Zope3 on Friday.  It looks like Zope-3.1 is
out (as a stable product) and it works fine with python-2.4.1. From the
ANNOUNCEMENT.txt file:

  Zope 3.1 requires Python 2.3.5 or 2.4.1 to run. You must also have
zlib
  installed on your system.

My understanding is that Zope2 has to have security audits of the python
versions it can run on before they release so Zope2 is going to continue
to lag behind a bit on what python version can be used.

-Toshio