packaging mpich2 -- conflicts with lam and file layoutb

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 8 14:17:28 UTC 2005

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> I'd rather do this:
>
> %{_libdir}/${MPI_IMPL_NAME}/
> %{_includedir}/${MPI_IMPL_NAME}/
>
> And use something like alternatives to manage the binaries, without
> putting them in a "magic" dir that violates the FHS.
>
> lam will probably need some work to meet these guidelines, but I'll push
> internally to get it fixed for FC5.

Is alternatives the best way of dealing with this? It provides only for
changing the system-wide default, and doesn't help if regular users want
  to try different implementations themselves. At least if different
implementations are in different directories, the implementations can be
selected by changing environment variables such as PATH. The FHS doesn't
really cater for that, does it?

Paul.