Need information about debuginfo packages.

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Nov 9 18:49:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 18:33 +0100, Jochen Schmitt wrote:

> 1.) When I have to declare a debuginfo package explicitly?

Never.  If the built-in debuginfo functionality of
rpmbuild/redhat-rpm-config fails to do what you want and cannot be
solved by other means (like the usual case of ensuring that the
permissions of files at end of %install are so that find-debuginfo.sh
works as expected: executable, writable, non-s[gu]id), you can choose to
implement it yourself.  But you don't _have_ to.

> 2.) What should I consider when I have to create such a debuginfo
> package explicitly?

Reconsider whether you _really_ need to do that, and if yes, first find
out if it's a bug in find-debuginfo.sh.  Also ask questions about
specific per-package cases eg. here or fedora-devel or fedora-packaging
lists before rushing to implement it.  See also:

$ rpm --showrc | less # and search for "debug"
$ less /usr/lib/rpm/find-debuginfo.sh