BuildSystem questions

Kevin Fenzi kevin-fedora-extras at scrye.com
Fri Nov 11 17:18:06 UTC 2005

Greetings.

A few questions/comments/observations about the build system:

First of all: Thanks to all the folks that worked on it. It's pretty
nice and slick and cool. Without the build system we wouldn't have
such a nice growing fedora extras setup. :)

On to some questions:

If you have 2 packages (say A and B) and queue up first A and then B,
can you be sure that A will be finished and be available by the time B
is building? This doesn't seem to be the case currently, or there is a
window there when it's not true. So for packages with other packages
as dependencies should we wait until they have gone to the 'needsign'
area? Or longer? before building the package that depends on them?

I imagine there is a createrepo in there after A has completed, but B
might have already started?

If a job fails due to something that doesn't require any changes to
the package (ie, it couldn't find a dependent package that was just
built, the devel repository was in an unstable state, the build
machine got stuck, martians killed the job, etc) do we still need to
bump the release of the package and request a new build? Or will
'plague-client requeue NNN' work to rebuild the job after the problem
is (hopefully) gone? Since the job failed, that release was never
released, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Some observations/comments:

If you kill a job with 'plague-client kill NNN' it says it killed it,
but the web page shows it still there and unaffected. It then gets
killed when it reaches a builder and mails that it was killed. Perhaps
plage-client should say "job NNN will be killed when it reaches the
builder" or something.

The PPC machine seems to be somewhat of a bottleneck. A build of mine
this morning took 4min on the i386/x86_64 arches and about 18min on
the ppc machine. Should we look at adding another ppc machine? Or
increasing memory in the existing one or something? If it's hard to
get hardware allocated, perhaps we could stick up a donate button on
the website to get more builder boxes?

The web pages are very nice. It's very handy to watch whats going
on. :)

Anyhow, thanks for all the work on it, it's getting quite nice.

kevin