static libraries' policy

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 12 00:57:44 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Removing them only serves to make it more of a hassle for those who do
> have a reason to link against a static library.

I'll go along with that. One that I've package (and which has been
approved) is a Z80 cross compiler called Z88DK. As the target for the
binaries produced (or the object code at least) are archaic Z80
machines, most of which are only available via emulation, the libraries
have to be static - the target emulators don't know dynamic linked code
as dynamic linked code wasn't around then.

For the majority of time, dynamic linked should be the way to be though.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make
a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L.