Kodos (Artwork copyright question)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Nov 12 20:25:33 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 22:02 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>
>> I'm currently packaging Kodos visual regex debugger[1] to submit to
>> Extras, but in the process I've discovered that it includes and uses the
>> graphic[2] that is, what looks like, a fanwork rendition of a minor
>> Simpsons character[3]. The images don't serve any useful purpose in the
>> program itself, but I still wanted to know what esteemed collegues think
>> about their inclusion in something provided in Extras. Since it's an
>> imitation rendition, I didn't think it'd be a problem, but I'm not an
>> expert in these matters.
>>
>> [1] http://kodos.sourceforge.net/
>> [2] http://kodos.sourceforge.net/help/kodos.html
>> [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_characters_within_The_Simpsons#Kang_and_Kodos
>>

> I'd say kill the graphic. It looks like a potential problem and it
> doesn't serve any purpose. Of course there is the second concern that
> kodos is a protected name by the creators of the simpsons.
>
> This might be one package that we want to pass onto legal about.
>
> -sv

I agree about the graphic.  It almost certainly treads on protected IP.
The name 'Kodos' has not been trademarked, but, when combined with the
graphic, it's more than a little risky.  If you kill the graphic, the
package should be fine.  You might contact the author and encourage him
to use a different graphic, too.  As long as no attempts are made to
confuse the software 'Kodos' with the character 'Kodos', the name should
be safe.  Since it isn't trademarked, the name alone doesn't violate any
IP, but the graphic creates that dangerous confusion.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com