Replies to cvs-commits on fedora-extras-commits-list at redhat.com to this list from now on

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 14 04:54:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 23:32 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-14-11 at 05:17 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > If all comments would go to fedora-commit-list only, subscribing to
> > fedora-commits-list would be mandatory to maintainers, and thereby would
> > force them to read other maintainers' commits, too == QA.
> >
> > Redirecting comments to fedora-extras-list rsp. making
> > fedora-commits-list read-only removes all pressure from maintainers to
> > read fedora-commits-list and thereby pushes fedora-commits-list into
> > insignificance.
> >
> > => less eyes, less QA
> >
> > All in all, a truely bad move, of whom ever is responsible for this
> > decision.
>
> You assume that all maintainers are currently paying attention to the
> list anyway.
Well, I am pretty sure this isn't the case.

Partially, because subscribing to fedora-commits-list isn't mandatory
for maintainers, and partially, because fedora-commits-lists already
forwards to fedora-extras-list.

>  I'm pretty positive that very, very few are actually taking
> time to read through hundreds upon hundreds of messages that arrive
> daily.

Nobody does this, but ... even if you filter (I do so, too), sometimes
something catches your eye ...

>  I will be blatantly honest and say that I filter them all to go
> to /dev/null. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.
If feedback to commits would go to fedora-commits-list, only, you could
not avoid having to read fedora-commits-list. Now, you can.

Why don't you simply unsubscribe to fedora-commits-list if you don't
read it, anyway? IMO, the only real motivation for maintainers to read
fedora-commits-list is to "catch feedback".

> => no QA (by your definition of QA)
Yes - Why do you think, am I talking about poor "FE QA"?

Take yourself the time and "just browse" through one week of commits.
It's pretty amazing to see what of "uncooked stuff" is getting checked
in into CVS - IMO, it's apparent, nobody is reading fedora-commits-list
and IMO, the reasons also are obvious (High traffic and no obligations
to read fedora-commits-list)

> Now, with responses actually going to the main list, I'll be 100% more
> likely to see responses to my commits.
Tell me, why I should read fedora-commits-list?

Now, I don't see any reason, anymore .. reading others' commits and
commenting isn't actually interesting to me. In all cases I've been
commenting in the past, this had been side-effects of browsing the list.

Ralf