Reentrant flex

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Mon Nov 21 02:39:49 UTC 2005

I would like to submit one of my own pieces of software (mod_spin:
http://www.rexursive.com/software/modspin/) for inclusion in Fedora
Extras, but in order to do that, reentrant flex (2.5.31) would need to
exist in extras as well, as my software uses it as a build dependency.
Shipping reentrant flex within my package is not an option, as they use
incompatible licences (BSD with advertising clause for flex and GPL for
mod_spin).

In order to resolve the conundrum of not upsetting stock flex, I built
reentrat flex package (I call it flex-reentrant), which lives in a
completely isolated location of /usr/local/flex (and then ./bin, etc.)
to prevent clashes with anything system wide. Now, I have absolutely no
idea if this is the way things are supposed to be done or not, so I'm
looking for some input from people that had to build an alternative
version of the same software for the extras repository. Pointers in
regards to reentrant flex are especially welcome.

Obviously, for all this to happen, an interest in including the
reentrant flex and mod_spin would need to exist. If there is no such
interest, please disregard this question.

--
Bojan