IMPORTANT/WARNING buildsystem is not stable / unreliable

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 17:28:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 13:59 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for shouting but I hope I've got some attention this time around.
> I've reported this before, see:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-November/msg00804.html
>
> Today I again got the same inconsistent results again on x86_64 but this
> with a FC-4 build (again of directfb). The firsttime it failed (crashed)
> with the (interesting?) message below.
>
> I did a requeue within minutes and this time it build fine. This does
> not sound like a consistent build environment to me!
>
> I've saved all the logs off the failed attempt before the requeue and
> the succeeded attempt logs are at:
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-4-extras/1292-directfb-0.9.24-4.fc4/
>
> Maybe its an idea to run memtest for a couple of hours on hammer? and/or
> to run the old burn-it kernel compile script once used to detect the
> notorious hard to find K6 bug.

I track all the failed builds pretty closely, I usually comb through
them every day or two.  And directfb seems to be the only one with these
sorts of problems.  There are, of course, two explanations, one of which
you've pointed out here:

1) The build machines are screwed up or have a hardware fault
2) The directfb package has build issues either with gcc, with the build
process, or both

Given that directfb is the only package in Extras that I've seen that
actually _segfaults_ gcc, I'm tending to blame directfb at the moment.
What I'll try to do is build with make -j4 to see if there are parallel
make issues in directfb.  Also, does it always seem to fail on x86_64?
Has it ever failed oddly on i386 or ppc32?

Dan