Bittorrent 4.2.0 upgrade

Nathan Grennan fedora-extras-list at cygnusx-1.org
Sat Nov 26 20:48:43 UTC 2005

  I noticed this morning that my bittorrent had been upgraed from 4.0.4
to 4.2.0. 4.2.0 is now labeled stable, but for me still has a big
drawback that I saw in 4.1.x. I think it was with 4.1.6 that I noticed
that my upload liked to hover around 180k/s even though the
max_upload_rate was set to 800k/s. I reported the bug to the official
bittorrent bugs list. The response I got back was that he couldn't
reproduce it. I offered an account to reproduce it, but he ignored my
offer. I have since retested with 4.2.0 and I see basically the same
problem. It will upload at a higher rate when it is downloading, but
likes to hover at 180k/s when it is just seeding. Sometimes it will go a
little higher to say 190k/s, but then will quickly come back to around
180k/s. If I downgrade back to 4.0.4 the upload rate will not hover
around 180k/s and will at times go all the way to 800k/s, depending on
the torrent. I have tried various command line options to improve the
situation, but none alleviate the problem.

  I do realize that the new client has more features to offer like
trackerless torrents, but to me this seems like such a major downside,
and one they have chosen to ignore.

  I am thinking I should just move on to another client. Yet I have not
been happy with the ones I have tried, and there aren't nearly as mean
for Linux as there are for Windows. In addition I use bittorrent on via
ssh and/or screen. Bittornado gave problems with bad blocks when there
weren't any last time I tried it. I have looked over it's forum and have
let to see that issue resolved. I have also tried Azureus. I am not fond
of it's java dependency and it is  designed to be a gui.  It's java web
applet and console both suck. One nice thing about sticking with the
official client has been there have been the Fedora Extras package. So a
simple "yum install bittorrent" works.*
*