ruby-gnome2 [was Re: Software to add ?]

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 10 15:39:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 10:53 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 10/10/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone else have ruby-gnome2 spec files that might be a little more
> > mature than mine?
>
> I was attempting to make subpackages per module  when i looked at this.
> If you look back in the archives for this list starting on July 27th i
> had a short discussion about ruby packaging. Thread subject "Any tips
> or guidelines for creating ruby packages?"

Thanks - I should have searched the archives.
>From reading it - looks like it is suggested we have a way to do
something similar to perl(foo::bar) for provides/requires - that
hopefully would work with rpm if/when rpm does autodependency stuff for
ruby?

There seem to be two (maybe more?) types of files a ruby script can
require - pure ruby and a shareb object, ie

require 'glib2'
require 'pango.so'

glib2 would refer to glib2.rb and pango.so would refer to pango.so (but
ruby pango.so, not a system shared library)

So if I understand that previous discussion, we really should write a
macro that does it for us, package the macro, and BuildRequires the
macro for ruby packages. The core ruby package would then also need to
use the macro, so that what it provides would be known, so the macro
would have to get into core (maybe into fedora's rpm?).

Is that a correct assessment of what needs to be done for it to be done
right?

I'll start looking at the existing perl/python macros and see if I can
figure out a way that makes sense with ruby, and if I figure out
something, I'll post it to the rpm list to have it torn apart.