Package submission process

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Oct 14 23:08:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 14:43 -0700, Ian MacGregor wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 10/14/05, Ian MacGregor <contact at ardchoille.org> wrote:
> >
> >>  My name is Ian MacGregor and I have been using Fedora since FC1.
> >>Fedora is the best distro available and I thank those involved for its
> >>creation. I create packages for apps when I find an app that I like
> >>which is not on Fedora Extras or Livna - I enjoy building packages. I
> >>have been trying to become a Fedora Extras contributor but I cannot
> >>understand the 20-step process here:
> >>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors
> >

> > Sorry you feel this way. But I think you have greatly over-simplified
> > what is actually necessary. In your six step world.. how do you gain
> > access to the cvs system?
> There doesn't need to be a cvs system setup for packages, IMO.
> I create a package, tell the reviewer it's available, reviewer
> reviews/tests the package. If the package doesn't pass, I take care of
> any problems and repackage, if the package passes, the reviewer submits
> the package to Extras.

Hi Ian,

If you want, you can setup an "Extras-like" RPM repository that works
the way you suggest.  Theres nothing stopping you.  And I mean that very
sincerely.  If you work hard you might even make it as useful as some of
the other well-known 3rd-party RPM repositories.  Its not a bad goal.

However, please don't waste any more time suggesting that the FE
maintainers rip out and throw away *most* of the functionality that
makes Extras as useful and thorough (CVS history, bug reports, reviews,
etc.) as it currently is.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD