rpms/libsigsegv/FC-4 .cvsignore, 1.2, 1.3 libsigsegv.spec, 1.5, 1.6 sources, 1.2, 1.3

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 15:10:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 16:34 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> 1. I guess you are aware, about the general maintenance issues and
> security risks shipping static libs imply?
> 2. If a package requires to be linked statically, it is broken by
> design.

There are times and places where static libraries (.a) are useful and
perhaps even necessary, which is why I've never considered mandating a
"no static libs" policy for FE.

With that said, I agree with Ralf. In the majority of cases, if a
package requires a static link from other libraries, it is broken by
design, and should be fixed to use shared libs.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!