ruby-gnome2 [was Re: Software to add ?]

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 10 12:53:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 06:21 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> How far did you get with the dependencies?
> I don't think I want to maintain any ruby packages, but I certainly
> would be willing to review/test.

Note on this -

I've been working on a ruby-gnome2 rpm since this post.
I do NOT want to maintain ruby-gnome2, I just wrote my first ruby "Hello
World" application yesterday, but I might get a spec file I'm willing to
let someone maintain who DOES want to maintain use.

ruby-gnome2 is distributed either as ruby-gnome2-all or as a smaller
ruby-gtk2 package. Everything in ruby-gtk2 is in ruby-gnome2. Everything
in ruby-gnome2 builds on FC4 assuming you have all the libs installed.

My inclination would be to package it as two packages - the gtk2 package
(so that ruby packages that don't need the gnome stuff wouldn't need to
suck in all the gnome libraries) and a gnome2 package that depends on
the gtk2 package.

I looked at what Mandrake (er, whatever they are calling it now) did,
and they provide a bunch of small packages for each possible subpackage.

The advantage to mandrakes approach is that the documentation for each
module is easier to package via %doc. The disadvantage, I really don't
think that many subpackages are necessary - I think just the gtk2 and
the gnome2 subpackages would be enough. It's distributed upstream as two
pieces, I think breaking it further makes things more complex while only
potentially saving one or two shared libraries for the minimalist.

What are thoughts on that?

Again - I'd like to see Alexandria (or something like it) make it into
Extras, assuming it works. Fits the whole LOTD for the common folk
thing.

Does anyone else have ruby-gnome2 spec files that might be a little more
mature than mine?