ruby-gnome2 [was Re: Software to add ?]

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Oct 10 13:58:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 05:53 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> My inclination would be to package it as two packages - the gtk2 package
> (so that ruby packages that don't need the gnome stuff wouldn't need to
> suck in all the gnome libraries) and a gnome2 package that depends on
> the gtk2 package.
>
> I looked at what Mandrake (er, whatever they are calling it now) did,
> and they provide a bunch of small packages for each possible subpackage.
>
> The advantage to mandrakes approach is that the documentation for each
> module is easier to package via %doc. The disadvantage, I really don't
> think that many subpackages are necessary - I think just the gtk2 and
> the gnome2 subpackages would be enough. It's distributed upstream as two
> pieces, I think breaking it further makes things more complex while only
> potentially saving one or two shared libraries for the minimalist.

gnome-python is broken up into pretty small subpackages.  Perhaps the
mandrake approach mirrors this for ruby.  Not sure that it's a good
idea, though.  If you're developing or running on the GNOME platform,
chances are you won't complain too much about pulling in all the
dependencies for that platform.  OTOH, if there's one "killer app" that
people want but otherwise don't really need anything from ruby-gnome and
that app wouldn't use all the subpackages, then people might not want to
pull in any of the extra ones.

-Toshio