Package submission process

Ian MacGregor contact at ardchoille.org
Fri Oct 14 20:52:12 UTC 2005

Hello,
  My name is Ian MacGregor and I have been using Fedora since FC1.
Fedora is the best distro available and I thank those involved for its
creation. I create packages for apps when I find an app that I like
which is not on Fedora Extras or Livna - I enjoy building packages. I
have been trying to become a Fedora Extras contributor but I cannot
understand the 20-step process here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors

I have dozens of packages that I'd like to contribute to the community
but the process is, IMHO, too involved, time consuming and complicated.
It is my opinion that this process can be streamlined down to a mere 6
steps, as outlined below:

Step 1: Read and follow the PackagingGuidelines and PackageNamingGuidelines.
Step 2: Make a package.
Step 3: Upload your SRPM and SPEC files onto the internet somewhere.
Step 4: Contact a Reviewer and let them know your package is ready for
review. If the package is acceptable, go to Step 6, else Step 5.
Step 5: Take care of any problems the reviewer found with the package
and go to Step 3.
Step 6: Submit the package to Fedora Extras.
Step 7: Bask in the knowledge that you are helping the community grow.

It just seems to me that someone took what should have been a simple
process and complicated the heck out of it. I am not complaining, rather
I am stating the obvious. I feel that there are many packagers out there
(I know of several) who are simply not willing or able to comply with
all of the 20 current steps - most of which are unnecessary as it's just
a .src.rpm/.rpm of source code and the packager is not supposed to alter
the source code to begin with. Not only is the current process
confusing, but I feel it is a waste of time and server space and I do
not have the time nor patience to keep up with it all. Making a
.src.rpm/.rpm is one thing, as it only takes a small bit of time, but
keeping up with everything regarding the current process is much too
time consuming and confusing in my opinion. Can you imagine the number
of packages that could be submitted to Extras, and the number of new
packagers willing to build and submit, if this process were made easier?

I'll check back often and if/when the current process is streamlined I
would even be willing to tackle many of the packages on the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WishlistExtras

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
Ian MacGregor