rpms/xforms/devel

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 17:40:07 UTC 2005

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 11:58 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>

>>> OK, provided that XFree86-devel doesn't go away (soon):
>>>
>>> BuildRequires: XFree86-devel
>>> %define x_pkg %{expand:%%(basename `rpm -q --qf "%%{NAME}"
>>> --whatprovides XFree86-devel` -devel)}
>>> BuildRequires: %{x_pkg}-Mesa-libGL
>>

>> Note that some people are religious about using rpm inside of rpm.
>

> I guess it's a good thing then that I'm not one of them.  (-:
>
> -- Rex

Thanks to Ralf for being vigilant and bringing this to my attention.

XFree86-devel and xorg-x11-devel will seize to be a package or even
virtual provide in FC5 when modular X hits the repository, so you will
need to find another way to do this anyway.

This spec line is wrong for these reasons, and maybe more:

1. It is also generally against Fedora practices to allow a spec to be
backwards compatible with old and unsupported releases, especially when
supporting those old distros necessitates ugly hacks like this.
2. Querying rpmdb during rpmbuild for any reason is wrong and should be
avoided.
3. This parsing will fail with an exit code where XFree86-devel is not
provided.  This means it will fail when parsing in a minimal buildroot
(mock), and FC5 where XFree86-devel doesn't exist at all.

So it is utterly wrong to allow this line in this spec file.  Please
find another way.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com