RPM_OPT_FLAGS and kernel module compiles, was Re: x86_64 build (fwd)

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Oct 18 15:12:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> It means that your package should use the contents of $RPM_OPT_FLAGS
> during compliation.
>
> When looking at your build.log, you'll see this
> CXXFLAGS='-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32
> -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'
> This is the expansion of
> CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS",
> rpm's default way to propagate RPM_OPT_FLAGS to configure
> scripts/Makefiles.

Is there a similar flag for kernel compile "RPM_OPT_FLAGS"'s? For example,
I believe one should technically use "-mno-red-zone" for kernel module
compiles on x86_64, but if I want my spec file to work on all architectures,
and for FC3/FC$, then I cannot blindly include the flag. So far, I've just
left it out, but I wonder what the proper way of handling this flag is.

Paul