Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras Development

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Oct 19 10:20:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:42:00 +0200 (CEST), Linus Walleij wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Here's the list of problems in the Fedora Extras devel trees found by a
> > slightly modified repoclosure script:
>
> Was this caused by the recent purge of old package versions as expected by
> my previous mail on library versioning and keeping old versions for
> satisfying old dependencies?

No.

At a first glance, the majority of those packages need to be rebuilt,
because they got out-of-sync with updates in Rawhide.

The repoclosure script I use only looks at the latest packages in a
repository. It focuses on packages you would get with "yum update" or
"yum install foo". That is the stuff that ought to work.

To ensure that even old packages--to be installed manually or via
a specific version--will work always, too, is beyond my scope. Old
packages may contain bugs (hardcoded or broken requirements, for
instance) which may have been fixed already and would only pollute
repoclosure's output. So, looking at the latest package releases has
priority.