Applications that need unreleased libraries

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Oct 23 07:25:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 00:15 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> A new gnotime[1]_ has been released that unfortunately depends on a
> version of the qof library which has been marked by the maintainers as a
> development release, not intended for packaging.[2]_
>
> The gnotime tarball includes a version of qof that it works with.  My
> plan is to build the new gnotime against a static version of this
> internal library until a new qof is released.  To track the static
> dependency I'll also document the changes required to revert to the
> system qof when the new version is released and file a bugzilla against
> gnotime to remove the static qof.
>
> Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Not upgrading gnotime in FE.

IMO, FE should restrict itself to "sufficiently stable" packages.
Developers marking their own work as "not intended for packaging" does
not qualify as such, and therefore automatically excludes all work
depending on this as "not upgradable/will have to wait until upstream
has made it"

Ralf