Do GModules require *.la files?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Oct 24 05:44:27 UTC 2005

Well, now that I've taken two controversial stances in the past week, I
guess it's time to put an end to my foolishness with a "third time's the
charm" question.  Here's a quote from the HACKING file for the new
libqof:

2.1 libqof-backend-qsf.la is REQUIRED in libqof1

Unlike many other packages, libqof1 REQUIRES the inclusion of the .la
file for the QSF backend module into the main binary package - it is NOT
acceptable to put it in the -dev or -devel package! This is for
portability and to make it easier to use GModule to load the backend.
This method will be used for all subsequent QOF backend modules and .la
files for those backends will also need to be installed by the libqof1
package without requiring a dependency on the development package.

Can someone more conversant with GModule and/or libtool comment on this?
The little I know about libtool's *.la files doesn't support this but my
utter lack of experience with GModules means I need some more
information before I know what to do.

-Toshio