rpms/gnumeric/FC-4 gnumeric.spec,1.3,1.4

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Oct 24 14:35:17 UTC 2005

The core of the problem BTW is rpm only got two states for a directory :
owned (%dir) and unowned (nothing). And this discussion shows we need a
tristate :
A semantic owner: this directory is ultimately managed by this package
B practical owner: this package will create and delete the directory if
the semantic owner is not installed (ie you're not the semantical owner,
but you don't want to depend on it)
C dependency: this package need the directory but doesn't want to manage
it at all, please autopull the semantic owner

Till we actually have a tristate there will be disagreement between
people who claim %dir is A, people who claim %dir is B, and pragmatic
people who say "it depends"

Note that clarifying the situation would enable autodeps for C instead
of manual deps like now, and repo-level checking that the perms of
directories in B state are compatible with their A conterpart.

Since there is no difference between A and B most of the time one can
probably gracefully migrate to the tristate by adding a new hint for B
or A and declaring %dir means the other state.

--
Nicolas Mailhot