Extras repodata

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Mon Oct 24 18:58:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 12:57 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Eric TANGUY wrote:
> > Why there is so many packages not in Groups here :
> > http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/
> > I take the example Engineering and Scientific group : for example maxima
> > is not here and so on ...
>
> Good question.  There seems to be a *lot* of stuff in the "Packages Not
> in Groups" category (that's where maxima is listed).  I take it that
> membership in these groups isn't automated (ie, done by a human), else
> we've got a bug lurking.

Indeed it is. It would be useful if there were some way for a package
owner to specify the group it belongs to. And no, the Groups tag is
*not* an effective way of doing so. At least, not with the values we're
currently restricted to.

Since the Groups tag is obsolescent, why can't we use that to specify
the package group instead?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/