Do GModules require *.la files?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Oct 26 04:29:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 09:38 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much Warren, alex, and mclassen!  I'll patch the sources
> > to do what alex suggests.  Don't know if I'll be able to convince
> > upstream to accept the change but I'll sure try :-)
>
> Probably not, as some platforms need libtool archives for proper
> function.  Thankfully, fedora/redhat(linux) is not one of them.

I think what alex was pointing out is that gmodule will search for the
[BASENAME].la files automatically if needed.

Looking at the gmodule documentation now, I see its documented that
g_module_open("qof_backend") would search for:
qof_backend
qof_backend.G_MODULE_SUFFIX (.so for unix-like, .dll for win, .sl for
HP-UX)
qof_backend.la

and use whichever opens the module.  Would this not work on all
platforms?

-Toshio