autoconf/automake in BuildRequires

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Oct 31 14:22:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 15:31 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> According to wiki/PackagingGuidelines, there is exceptions list for
> BuildRequires tag:
>
> > There is no need to include the following packages or their
> > dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often.
> > These packages are considered the minimum build environment.
> >
> Autoconf and automake are not present in this list, therefore they must
> be specified in the BuildRequires tag. OTOH it looks as some basic
> tools... May be autoconf and automake should be included in the
> exception list too?
Never.

Any package requiring them is _broken_. Such bugs should be reported
upstream and fixed there.

Also running any autotool as part of building a package imposes
non-negligible risks to silently break packages.

If I were to decide, I would reject any package trying to run any
autotool - Packagers should learn to use patches instead.

Sorry, if this sounds hard, but here, I do have a very strong opinion.

Ralf