check-rpaths on fedora-rpmdevtools: What's the purpose of it?

Didier Casse elprodigio at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:02:41 UTC 2005

Hi Everybody,
            I'd like to ask a question: I normally use
fedora-rpmdevtools (which I think is cool!) but recently with this
check-rpaths script it gave me this error while I
was compiling Eterm:

 ERROR: file '/usr/bin/Eterm' contains a standard rpath '/usr/lib' in
 [/usr/lib:/ usr/lib/Eterm]

I posted it to the enlightenment-devel list and Michael Jennings
(Eterm author) said that the script is a bad idea and to simply get
rid of it. You can take a look at the thread here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=8065956&forum_id=6427

In the end, Rasterman (enlightenment author) asked the following:

 "but what is  the REASON for this rpath removal policy? i'm curious
to know why!
 i'm wondering how it causes problems or breaks things or such... ? i'd really
 like to know! :)"

I also have no idea about the internals and assume it's there for a
reason. Ville provided me with some links and explanation but
suggested that I email here to know more. Yes I want to know more and
post it to the e-devel mailing list. Thanks for any insights.

--
With kind regards,
Didier.

Yum/apt repository for DR17/EFL: http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe

Didier F.B Casse
PhD candidate, Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
National University of Singapore.