How to package kernel module

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 20:45:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 00:33 +0400, Paul P Komkoff Jr wrote:
> Is there any consensus on kernel module packaging?
>

> I am willing to submit a whole bunch of telephony-related stuff. Whole
> bunch includes zaptel. Zaptel includes a small pile of kernel modules.
>
> Should I use livna template (kernel-module-zaptel) or base template
> (zaptel-kernel) ? How I need to decorate my specfile to have module
> subpackages built for smp AND up kernel?

Right now, FE is not setup for kernel-module-* packages. We still have
several lightyears to go before we can get there.

On top of that, I'm very hesitant to include kernel-module-* packages on
principle. I feel strongly that most of the packages that we could
include (open source, not patent infringing) should be going upstream so
that they can get in the FC kernels.

So, my first question is: Why aren't the zaptel kernel modules in the
upstream 2.6 tree?

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!