FUSE - Z80 ROM documentation

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 22:13:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> Okay, can one of the RH legal eagles check the legalities on this? The
> constant go/no-go is not much fun. We're trying to predict the future
> and every eventuality with nothing but conjecture and the insane legal
> mentality prevalent in the US.

If I take this to a Red Hat lawyer, the answer will be no.  Why?  Because
currently, Fedora exists under the auspices of Red Hat, and Red Hat has
money, and people sue companies that have money, and so Red Hat is
incredibly conservative about these kinds of ambiguities.

One day, though, sometime in the coming months, there will exist a Fedora
Foundation.  That entity will be a non-profit with pretty much zero cash
on hand, and therefore a very different threshhold for legal pain.  In
such an environment, "good faith" is a potentially more reasonable policy,
and should we make a slip up, the only likely legal recourse is a simple
cease and desist order.

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan