FUSE - Z80 ROM documentation

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 00:02:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 18:24 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> My suggestion is to package the emulator now, and wait to package the
> ROMs for a couple of months.  In the meantime, it probably wouldn't be a
> bad idea to see if you can get Amstrad to place these ROMs into the public
> domain.

I doubt that they are likely to do this, as it would require them to
essentially abandon copyright (IANAL).

So, in looking at the posting, I'm asking myself, does it meet the
requirements for content:

Is it freely distributable: Yes.

Amstrad are happy for emulator writers to include images of our
copyrighted code as long as the (c)opyright messages are not altered and
we appreciate it if the program/manual includes a note to the effect
that "Amstrad have kindly given their permission for the redistribution
of their copyrighted material but retain that copyright".

Given the precedence of Linux Format including it with their magazine, I
don't think anyone making FE cds will have any problem with this.

The Amstrad concern is for "charging money for the emulator with ROMs",
not "charging money for a CD of freely distributable packages".

SO: To stop this wild goose of a discussion, Paul, please ask the
Amstrad guys if they are OK with allowing Fedora Extras to include and
distribute the ROMS, with the awareness that the ROMs will likely be
included on CD collections of Fedora packages for sale.

If they are ok, I'll approve the inclusion. If they are not ok with
that, then its out.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!