rpms/grhino/devel grhino-Makefile-in.patch, NONE, 1.1 grhino.desktop, NONE, 1.1 grhino.spec, NONE, 1.1 .cvsignore, 1.1, 1.2 sources, 1.1, 1.2

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Sep 4 12:01:47 UTC 2005

On Sat,  3 Sep 2005 19:41:00 -0400, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

> Author: salimma
>
> Update of /cvs/extras/rpms/grhino/devel

> %description
> GRhino, or Rhino its former name, is an Othello/Reversi game on Linux and other
> UNIX-like systems as long as GNOME 2 libraries are installed. It is currently
> under development and a new version is available occasionally.
>
> What distinguish GRhino from most other Othello games is that GRhino will be
> targeted for experienced Othello players. Strong AI is the main focus with some
> additional good, useful features (like an endgame solver) is planned. The
> ultimate target strength of the AI is that it should be able to beat the best
> human player at the highest difficulty level. Beating Logistello (the strongest
> program available) is not in the plan :)
>
> GRhino supports the Go/Game Text Protocol (GTP), allowing it to be used as
> an engine for a GTP-compliant controller like Quarry.
>
> Othello is a registered trademark of Tsukuda Original, licensed by Anjar Co.,
> copyright 1973, 1990 Pressman Toy Corporation.

Same here as added as a comment to the "quarry" review ticket in bugzilla.
Follow the link there, where it is mentioned that Mattel sent a cease and
desist letter to a website which provided an Othello game.
http://www.atmedia.net/TWWWEP/noothello.html

>From a legal standpoint, I doubt you may call this implementation an
"Othello/Reversi game" and get away with mentioning the trademark owner.
You could call it Reversi, since that name is not trademarked. But even
mentioning Othello would enter the same field as Tetris: to benefit from
a well-known trademarked name and game concept.