Buildsys primer

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Sep 11 23:16:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 22:19 +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> Is there some document on what is actually set up and happening on the
> other end of the build system?
>
> I am more looking into knowing what versions of compiler and accompanying
> tools may be expected to carry out the compilation... I would guess a
> standard FC-X / devel base distribution to do the packaging for respective
> target but what do I know. Where do you go reading?
>
> Linus
>

>From what I remember, core uses a proprietary (internal to Red Hat)
build system, I think Extras uses a build system based on mock -
packages are built using whatever core/extras packages are current - and
also (if needed) uses new packages that have been through the build cue
successfully but not yet signed and released.

If it builds in mock - it will probably build on the build system.
That's been my experience anyway.

What tools are available - there are some base rpms installed for every
build, I think they are specified in mock (I think it actually fetches
the list when it runs and thus needs a network connection) but any tool
you need is available with appropriate BuildRequires in your spec file.