bmp/xmms hanging w/ samba

Mike Perry mikepery at fscked.org
Sun Sep 18 23:41:30 UTC 2005

Thus spake Axel Thimm (Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net):

> > I think the issue is probably that mpg123 is caching away the network
> > outages. Is this wireless?

Either wired or wireless. 802.11g or 100Mbit. Same LAN.

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:44:34AM -0500, Mike Perry wrote:
> > Of course, right after I sent the email I began to notice skipping
> > with mpg123 (mpg321-0.2.10.3-0.lvn.1.4) and the error messages
> > "ALSA: underrun, at least 0ms."
> >
> > Interestingly enough, increasing the ALSA buffer and the mp3 streaming
> > buffer seem to make the problem worse for xmms and bmp. mpg123 seems
> > to have no buffering options.
>
> Perhaps your network connection is really that bad, that even mp3
> streams outperform its bandwidth?

Doubtful. I get around 2MBytes/sec off of the samba share over wireless,
and around 4 over wired..

I just tried NFS, and the problem took much longer to reproduce,
but it did eventually crap out over both the wired and the wireless
networks.

Think I should also file the bugs with xmms and bmp upstream? Any
other suggestions?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist