Creative Commons license for pictures

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Sep 27 09:13:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:06:19AM +0200, Christian Jodar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know if it could be a problem for a package to contain pictures
> under a Creative Commons License. It would be the BY-NC-SA version:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

If I'm not wrong, the Not Commercial clause implies that the package cannot
be sold, so cannot be included on an extra CD sold. My understanding is
that the fedora extra package should be sold. So I believe that BY-SA is
better for fedora extras, although BY-NC-SA should be fine in livna.

> If it is not acceptable, is there a solution? I heard about dual licensing.
> But I can't understand how it could be used. What does it mean having 2
> licenses? If they are conflicting points, how is it managed?

On the subject of pictures licencing, be aware that if you want to combine
these pictures with other materials the licences should be compatible. And
the GPL, GFDL, CC BY-SA and artlibre are mutually exclusive... This is
relevant if you want to combine the pictures with documentation for example.
So dual licencing may be relevant here for such reasons, not only to package
in fedora extras.

--
Pat