License for application name and logos (Was: Creative Commons license for pictures)

Christian Jodar tian at c-sait.net
Thu Sep 29 19:54:39 UTC 2005

> No...absolutely not. Again i think you are confusing copyright and
> trademark here as well.
> Just stating that something is copyrighted...is more restrictive than
> even the non-commercial clause of the CC licenses. Without an explicit
> "copyright" license detailing how the code can be copied, distributed
> or modified there's no way Fedora can include it.

OK. So now let's take the same example. On my Fedora box, I have Fedora
installed. If I open the About box, I have this message (translated from the
french version so the english one may slightly differ:

(C)1998-2005 Contributors. All rights reserved.

Then there is a problem here... Or I misunderstood something again.

> The mozilla and firefox codebases are NOT the same as your code...
> mozilla and firefox are NOT licensed solely under the GPL so they do
> not have the problem gcflims is facing.. I will also point out that
> mozilla as a project requires ALL new contributions to conform to a
> specific set of licensing conditions.  Mozilla isn't going to accept
> CC or freeart licenced code.

I am not talking of code. What has to be included is only logos. GPL is only
made for programs. I understand that some people may apply it to other things
but source code is not a concept that could be applied to art...

So for me, every single program that uses GPL for its source code and also
some pictures is concerned by the law for their art works. And it tells that
these work is automatically copyrighted.

> I will also point out that mozilla's
> codebase includes a seperate set of logos and icons which will be used
> by default when attempting to do a local rebuild unless you use
> additional buildtime arguments which pull in the actual trademarked
> works.

OK. But that's not this one which is included in Fedora.

> Your problem is.. you are working with a project that has chosen the
> GPL as its license and need to work within the constriants of that
> license for gcflims.. or you need to relicense gcflims.  gcllims needs
> to make a choice... they either demand that all contributions to the
> project be licenses in a GPL compatible way...or gcflims developers
> agree to re-license gcflims if that is possible.

So are you telling me that if I change the licence to the MPL one, I will be
able to included copyrighted images to it (and have it in FE)? I will ask
other developpers if they agree for that. And I am also the initial project
creator so I should do that. Don't I?

I want to thank you a lot. You are the one who helps me the most with this
problem.

Christian.