FUSE - Z80 ROM documentation

Iago Rubio iago at iagorubio.com
Thu Sep 1 19:07:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:50 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Iago Rubio wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 09:44 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Further to my requests about the inclusion of the Z80 ROMs within the
> >>Fuse package, I've been forwarded the following URLS
> >>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sinclair/msg/c092cc4d4943131e?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=c7c6be9db6ecba9b&rnum=1&ic=1
> >>
> >>This one states the position of Amstrad (the owners of the ROMS).
> >>Basically, as long as the copyright message is kept and no fee is
> >>charged, they're good to go. They can be released as images with the
> >>blessing of the owners.
> >

> > I don't think it could  apply for Extras:
> >
> > 	- It's non free (not OSI License).
>  >
> Its a frimware blob and thus dopesn't need to be OSI, it falls under the
> shareware data file exception.
>
> > 	- It does not allow commercial distribution.
> >

> To quote:
[snip]

> So commercial distribution is fine, as long as the price asked is not
> for the amstrad code, but for other parts (such as the cd the code is on)

May be I'm wrong then, but if it stands as firmware exception, it should
match: "Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely distribute
without restrictions".

The restriction to sell it, is - no doubt - a restriction.

The criteria "it cannot be sold because it's freely available" doesn't
stands for me. It does not change the fact that the ROMs have
distribution restrictions, as you cannot charge for them.

Let me say I've got nothing against including this package - nor I'm
willing to sell it. I'm just pointing to the current packaging
guidelines which explicitly states that no distribution restrictions are
allowed in firmware packages.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#head-9c943edd0769408cb98c2fc10f70baaba798428b

Regards.
--